Let me state the obvious here: this isn’t the prettiest dessert at the party. What it lacks in looks it makes up for in the minimal effort/high level of fanciness department, which is a department that I completely made up, but is very important to me. It’s super easy (one bowl), but it seems super fancy (has a French name). I adapted this recipe ever-so-slightly from my friend Dan’s recipe for Berry Clafoutis and was inspired to make a cookie flavored clafoutis by this Chocolate Chip Cookie Clafoutis from Big Girls Small Kitchen.
As I’ve experimented more with clafoutis (clafoutis science!), I’ve found that I think I prefer them made with canned coconut milk. I couldn’t say definitively why this is, so it’s not REALLY science, but I think the coconut milk has an ideal thickness and fat level to produce a really evenly textured, rich baked custard. There’s a fantastic caramel apple clafoutis in the book Small Plates, Sweet Treats that helped cement my coconut milk/clafoutis theory.
We’re used to clafoutis as a summer dessert (the classic version is studded with cherries), but with the addition of warm spices and molasses, this one has a place at your fall table as well.
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup full-fat, canned coconut milk
- 3 red, sweet plums, halved and thinly sliced
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown rice flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- Add the eggs, molasses, and vanilla extract. Whisk until a thick, smooth batter forms.
- Gradually add the coconut milk, whisking until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a greased pie plate.
- Gently place the plums into the batter. I like to fan them a little as you see above.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes until the edges are slightly brown and the middle is set.
- Let cool to room temperate and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.