Starkrimson Pear Infused Vodka

by autumn on November 4, 2014

Starkrimson Pear Infused Vodka // Autumn Makes & Does

If you’ve been reading here for any amount of time, you know that fruit+booze is one of my favorite minimal effort, high yield preserving methods. Because this recipe is really as easy as fruit+booze, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I hadn’t necessarily planned to share it here. However, it turned out WAY better than even I expected and some of you put in requests for the recipe, so here it is.

Starkrimson Pear Infused Vodka // Autumn Makes & Does

I took 3 very ripe starkrimson pears, they’re the gorgeous red ones, and sliced them very thin, about 1/8th of an inch. I laid them flat to essentially make a very tall pear stack in a quart jar and covered them with high proof (100 proof) vodka, which used about half of a 750 ml bottle. I put a lid on the jar and let the mixture infuse for 4 days. While not entirely essential, higher proof vodka will result in greater flavor extraction. I do not typically seek out high proof vodka to drink, but keep a bottle on hand for tinctures and infusions.

Starkrimson Pear Infused Vodka // Autumn Makes & Does

After 4 days, I strained the boozy fruit from the vodka using my trusty nut milk bag, which works SO MUCH BETTER than a coffee filter for tasks like this. As I experiment more and more with infusions, I’ve started adding in less and less sugar. This one did not need any additional sweetener beyond what came from the pears. Surprisingly, this turned out more like a liqueur than an infusion, completely naturally sweetened by the ripe pears and stained the loveliest rosy/russet hue from the skins. Although certainly mixer-appropriate, I prefer sipping this over ice.

1 Margaret November 18, 2014 at 12:56 pm

This sounds great! I’d love to make it for a food swap group that I participate in every couple months. Is there any shelf life concerns or does the alcohol enable it to keep for a long time?

Thank you!

2 Debi Anderson November 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm

You have interested me in trying this. My question is…if you do have to add sugar at what stage so you add it? What else have you infused?
Thanks
Debi Anderson

3 autumn December 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hi Debi, I would try it without sugar first. You can always add a bit after straining if you find it necessary. Thank you!

4 Candy November 22, 2014 at 3:54 am

I just strained this today after it infused for a week, and it really is fantastic. Just perfect, sweet enough, and with amazing pear flavor. Thank you so much for this great recipe. I think this will become a yearly tradition.

5 autumn December 2, 2014 at 3:32 pm

thanks, candy! I’m so happy you liked it.

6 Juli J November 22, 2014 at 3:55 am

Ooh, it even looks luscious! I am drinking some asian pear infused rum, mixed with ginger ale, that’s pretty good too!

7 Kari December 2, 2014 at 10:24 am

Unless your pears are not sweet enough you might try to use stevia for sweetening. I would sprinkle the stevia powder (grown in my back yard) on the pear slices and then stack’em up.

Nut milk bags are unheard of in my neck of the woods so I’m using an ordinary coffee filter and inserting some wooden skewers between the paper and the funnel just to prevent the whole setup from clogging.

8 Kari December 2, 2014 at 10:25 am

Unless your pears are sweet enough you might try to use stevia for sweetening. I would sprinkle the stevia powder (grown in my back yard) on the pear slices and then stack’em up.

9 autumn December 2, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Hey Kari! I ordered mine form amazon. Best 7 or so dollars I’ve ver spent.