3-ingredient Green Smoothie

by autumn on June 20, 2012

The prospect of drinking a tall glass of bright green can be a little alarming. I remember the first time one of my old roommates saw me with a green smoothie, she messed up her face and asked if I was drinking pesto. IF ONLY.

Some folks are really into green smoothies. To be honest, they’ve come and gone in my life. I cautiously started mixing them up a few years ago as a way to manage my plentiful CSA greens. Clearly, this was before I discovered kale chips. Plus, I didn’t need a doctor to tell me that my iron levels were pretty darn low (although she later told me, in no uncertain terms).

This green smoothie is the only one I make and it has proven to be the best way to get the greens out of the crisper and into my veins. My knowledge of science doesn’t extend much past the magic schoolbus, as you may have guessed from that veins comment, but my nutritionist sister says that vitamin C helps your body absorb the type of iron that is in green stuff. So this smoothie has two generous handfuls of greens (spinach and chard will result in a smoother final texture, but kale is great too), a cup or so of orange juice (that’s the vitamin C), and a banana. Pack it all in a blender and blend on high for a minute or so. It’s far from drinking pesto either. I’d say, it doesn’t even taste green. Think of it as a beginners green smoothie.

1 art and lemons June 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I’m an easy sell as a regular green smoothie drinker. I always have more energy when I drink one first thing and it does help with the CSA green overflow. I like this powerhouse 3 ingredient approach and want to try your version with orange juice. My go-to smoothie includes apple juice, kale, lettuce, bananas, apples, pears, lemon juice, and ginger.

2 Autumn June 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

Thanks, Nikki! I like that your version incorporates lettuce too. That’s the one thing in my CSA I really struggle with using up. Not a salad girl 🙂

3 Yossy | apt2bbakingco June 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love green smoothies too! I’m actually drinking one right now for breakfast! I usually make mine with homemade almond milk, but I might try orange juice now that I know the Vitamin C will help my body absorb those nutrients.

4 autumn June 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Yossy, the nutritionist sister comes in handy sometimes! 🙂

5 Sara June 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

This looks like a great smoothie!

6 The Cozy Herbivore June 21, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Wow, this looks so vibrant and yummy. And I love how simple it is– a perfect use for my (slightly wilted) CSA greens!

7 autumn June 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thanks!

8 natalie June 26, 2012 at 2:21 am

THIS WAS SO YUMMY! thanks for a great green smoothie recipe ;D i honestly have been skeptical about green smoothies but this was so good– it is like a homemade naked green machine, but better! it was even on the sweet side for me (as a green smoothie newbie i was scared to add more spinach)– but next time i will load more green goodies in there! thanks for an easy and doable healthy recipe ! i can’t wait to experiment a little!

9 autumn June 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Natalie, I’m so happy to hear that! And you’ve got the right idea… packing more greens in there or using something a little more potent like kale will up the green factor and cut down on the sweetness. Thanks!

10 Christine July 12, 2012 at 5:46 am

Can this smoothie be made in a kitchen blender? Or do I need a juicer?

I’m interested in trying a green smoothie – I’ve never had one. I only hear good things. I just haven’t invested in a juicer….

11 autumn July 14, 2012 at 12:03 am

Hi Christine,
Absolutely! I just have a regular old blender as well. If you use spinach or chard you’ll achieve a smoother texture than if you use Kale, but all three work and taste great.

12 Paula @CeliacCorner July 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I am definately considered to be a beginner at green smoothies! This recipe actually sounds pretty delish, love the added OJ!