Strawberry season is done here in New York, but the pick-your-own season is just getting started. I snuck in some strawberry picking recently, just before our focus shifted to raspberries and blueberries. I wanted to share what I did with my modest 6 pounds of berries. I figure some folks may be interested in doing pick-your-own for the first time, but wondering what one might do with all those berries. Plus, I grew up in a place with a super-short growing season, so I know some of you local-eaters out there still have strawberries.
Good Morning, Queens! Strawberry picking involves getting up mad early. Small perfect strawberries will make it worthwhile, but it was this early:
I met Emily in Brooklyn then Emily’s friend Kathryn and her boyfriend Ed picked us up in a zipcar. We headed up to Greig Farm in Dutchess County. We decided on Greig Farm because Kathryn had been there when she was just a wee one, but check out pickyourown.org to find a farm near you!
And picked! Everyone warned me of this, but strawberry picking is really hard work. You’ll probably be sore the next day. Unless of course you do a lot of squats at the gym. If that’s the case, I’d like to invite you berry picking.
Even for just a little while, it was really nice to get out of the city. Upstate New York amazes me every time. It’s hard to believe that such a short drive from the city, the planet is still intact. Good to know. Even though I was exhausted, I got to work on my berries as soon as I got home. Here’s what happened:
- Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper Jam from Hitchhiking to Heaven: This recipe is from Shae’s e-book of prizewinning (literally!) jams and jellies. I didn’t want to devote all my strawberries to jam because I already had made a good amount, but this one’s a show stopper.
- Strawberry Shrub from Serious Eats: I am such a fan of strange vinegary drinks and this cold-processed shrub from Serious Eats is the little black dress of strange vinegary drinks.
- Strawberry Cashew Milk: You were there for this.
- Strawberry Blueberry Pie: I can’t sell out this recipe because it’s a family favorite that one of my bosses shared with me. It was darn good. I’d know because I ate the entire thing myself. I used my gluten-free pie crust recipe.
- Strawberry Basil Ice Cream: 100% as good as it sounds. I used my strawberry chamomile ice cream recipe as a guide and subbed sugar for the honey.
And I had just enough left for my morning gluten-free oats!
More folks doing good with strawberries:
- Strawberry Whole Strawberry Preserves: from Local Kitchen
- Strawberry Crème Fraiche Ice Cream: from Tigress in a Jam
- Honey Strawberry Jam: from Simple Bites
- Strawberry Infused Vodka: from Shutterbean