Baked Sunday Mornings: Carrot Coconut Scones with Citrus Glaze, Gluten-free

by autumn on April 10, 2011

During my last couple years high school, before I knew that I couldn’t eat gluten, I’d often start the day with a scone and a Red Bull. There was a great local bakery—conveniently located just across the street from my school—which kept me full of butter and flour. As for the Red Bull, I don’t have an excuse for that. I suppose there are a lot worse things a teenager could be doing to her body.

What I learned after I got the the “real world” is a) it’s not a great idea to begin the day with Red Bull and b) the scones I was eating were not scones at all. They were darn good, but they were also a pizza-like circle dotted with berries (usually) and cut into triangles to be served. I’m pretty sure they didn’t contain any baking powder. Turns out, my little local bakery had taken some liberties with the “scone.”

This week’s Baked Sunday Mornings recipe, Carrot Coconut Scones with Citrus Glaze, also takes some liberties, but—like all the recipes in Baked Explorations—in the best way possible. If these sound like a vacation for breakfast, it’s because they are. They’ve got a lot going on (oats, coconut, carrots, and OJ), but set against a classic scone backdrop, it just works. The recipe calls for carrot puree, which I really liked in a complete baking nerd way. Of course I’ve added grated carrots to treats before, but never puree; it’s such a good idea.

To make these gluten-free, I used 385 grams (140 grams per cup of all purpose flour) of my favorite gluten-free all purpose blend from Authentic Foods, subbed in gluten-free oats from Bob’s Red Mill, and added some xanthan gum into the flour mix.

Head on over to Baked Sunday Mornings to see all the scones!

1 Candy April 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

This is my first visit to your blog – it’s adorable!

Your scones are gorgeous!

2 Bourbonnatrix April 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Great job on the scones! I really admire you gluten free bakers! Can’t be easy!

3 mike April 10, 2011 at 8:43 pm

What a great way to go GF! I’m sure the were wonderful – it’s so nice to have flours, etc. available for GF folk – and oats, carrots – those are healthy right? 🙂 What a terrific photo – wonderful job on the glaze!

4 Nancy @SensitivePantry April 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

These look amazing! I’m a big fan of the authentic foods flours. Going to check out the cookbook now.

5 Bri April 11, 2011 at 12:52 am

They look wonderful! As with all of your goodies, I never would have known these were GF!

6 Krissy April 11, 2011 at 3:08 am

I’m sure glad I don’t have to worry about gluten-free. I see so many products and ingredients becoming more popular for gluten-free I hope it helps…anyway, your scones are really great looking…good job especially with the extra work.

7 Sandy April 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Stunning and so glad they turned out using the gluten free flour. I’ve been looking for some outstanding gluten free recipes for the bakery and I’m going to try your version.Nice work.

8 autumn April 24, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Sandy! As I mentioned in the post, I’ve had the most luck with 1:1 subs with Authentic Foods flours. They can be a little hard to come by, but are worth tracking down.